General FAQ

PTAD has jurisdiction over all federal public sector employees entitled to retirement benefits under any pension scheme existing before the 25th day of June 2004 (being the date of the commencement of the Pensions Reform Act 2004), but as at that date had 3 or less years to retire. In practice any pensioner who retired on or before the 31st day of June 2007 falls under the defined benefit scheme.

Furthermore there are some state pensioners who are entitled to federal share. To be a state pensioner with federal share a retiree must have started working for one of the regions of Nigeria before 31st day of March 1976 and retired before the 31st day of March 2011.

However the following public sector employees irrespective of when they retired are NOT under PTAD’S jurisdiction::

  1. The categories of persons mentioned in S. 291 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended): Judicial officers of the Supreme Court & Court of Appeal;
  2. Members of the Armed Forces
  • The intelligence and secret services of the Federation;

The Federal Government approved the restoration of the 35 years rule as a condition for retirement with effect from 1st September, 1999.  Accordingly, every officer who attained the age of 60 years or 35 years of pensionable service, whichever came earlier will be asked to retire.
The qualifying service for gratuity is now five (5) years, while pension is ten (10) years with effect from 1st June, 1992. Before then, the qualifying years for gratuity and pension was 10 and 15 years respectively. An officer, who retires voluntarily, cannot draw pension until he attains the age of forty-five (45).

What are the circumstances under which pensions and gratuity may be granted?

Section 3(1) and (2) of the Pensions Act No. 102 of 1979 stipulates the circumstances under which pension and gratuity may be granted as follows:

(a) On voluntary retirement or withdrawal after qualifying service;

(b) Statutory retirement: On attaining the statutory age of 60 years or maximum length of service of 35 years; whichever comes earlier.

(c) On compulsory retirement for the purpose of facilitating improvements in the organization or the officer’s department or ministry so that greater efficiency or economy may be effected.

(d) On the advice of a properly constituted Medical Board certifying that the officer is no longer mentally or physically capable of carrying out the functions of his office;

(e) On total or permanent disability while in service;

(f) On abolition of office under Section 7 of the Pensions Act No. 102 of 1979;

Cases of merging of service arise where a person leaves service and is subsequently re-employed in the public service. For the purpose of computation and payment of benefits under the Pension Decree, it is only continuous and unbroken period of public service that shall be taken into account. Where an officer resigns his appointment for the purpose of pursuing a course of study and is subsequently re-employed in the public service, the break in his service may be condoned. It should be noted that voluntary resignation for the purpose of taking up another appointment cannot be condoned. By the provisions of circular ref: B. 21600/326, break in service for the purpose of pursuing a course of study can only be condoned in the following circumstances:

  • Where the officer was ignorant of the possibility of being granted study leave without pay for the duration of his course;
  •  Where the officer had applied for leave without pay but his department did not process such application in good time to enable him embark on his/her course of study
  • Where the officer had his/her application rejected due to the fact that the proposed course of study would not enhance his usefulness to the service.

Where an officer obtains approval for study leave with or without pay and he returns to the service immediately on completion of his studies, there is no break in his service. However, if a serving officer proceeds on study leave without pay and returns to another Public institution, the latter Public Institution who benefits from the services of that officer immediately after his/ her studies should bear the pension liabilities in respect of the period of the study leave.

Officers who require condonation of break in service are expected to submit their application for such condonation within three (3) years after they have returned to the Public Service.

Only the date of birth recorded at the time of entry into the service is acceptable for processing pension. There is no room for change of information on date of birth.
Any change of name should be supported by an affidavit duly sworn to by the declarant, and a newspaper publication in a national daily that should be forwarded for updating of the officer’s records. In the case of a female officer who gets married, the application should be accompanied by the marriage certificate, and if under Native Law and Custom, an affidavit sworn to by an elderly person who witnessed the ceremony or a Clergyman or Imam who performed the ceremony.
There is a death benefit payable to the survivors of a retiree who dies before earning his pensions for five years. An officer who qualifies for pension should earn his pensions until he dies.

But in a case whereby a pensioner dies before he earns his pensions for five years then his survivors will be entitled to the balancing sum of his pensions within the guaranteed five year period.

Certain types of information may be requested under the Freedom Of Information Act( FOIA) which was enacted by the National Assembly in 2011 to ensure that institutions keep public records and information pertaining to their activities in a manner that can be easily retrieved.

PTAD is committed to operating with transparency and accountability and has an FOI desk dedicated to providing public information to clients and stakeholders.

1.   How can a request for information be made?
An FOI request can be sent by email to or please call 08144607574

2. In what format can the request be made?
A request can be written or Oral. However , we advise that requests be made in writing in as much detail as possible. This will enable us provide you the most appropriate answer.

3. Can I get an update on my pension complaints through FOI Channels?
No. The FOI is for publicly available information on an institution. Pensioners records are confidential and may not be given out without appropriate authorization.

Civil Service Pension Department (CSPD) FAQ

You may not have been paid for either of the following reasons:

  1. Inconsistent or incomplete employment records
  2. Inconsistent or incomplete bank details
  3. An overpayment of monthly pension has been discovered
  4. The payment failed. (Usually the payment is represented by PTAD)

You must submit a complaint with the following documents to the Pension Support Services Department (PSSD) in PTAD for review before you can be reinstated:

  1. First Appointment Letter
  2. Last Promotion Letter
  3. Retirement Letter
  4. Stamped and signed original bank statement on the bank letterhead, covering the period six months before you were dropped from the payroll till date.

Your complaint will go through a vetting process before it can be approved for payment. This this process can take a minimum period of 30 days to conclude.
The payment of harmonization is based of budgetary provision by the Federal Government. Once PTAD is in receipt of funds, the payment will be made immediately.
All verified pensioners who are duly qualified to receive pension from the Federal Government will be put on the payroll and paid their due pension as soon as we conclude reviewing ALL documents submitted by pensioners.
You are required to submit a complaint to PTAD together with the following documents for processing before you can be paid:

  1. First Appointment Letter of the deceased pensioner
  2. Last Promotion Letter of the deceased pensioner
  3. Retirement Letter of the deceased pensioner, if the pensioner retired before he/she died
  4. Original Bank statement of the deceased pensioner, from the date he/she retired till date
  5. Death Certificate of Deceased
  6. Letter of Administration
  7. Birth Certificates of the next of kin
  8. Joint Bank Account of the next of kin
  9. Record of Service of the deceased pensioner

Please also note that the next of kin will be required to appear in person to finalize the processing of the death benefits

Kindly also note that you are the next of kin of a deceased civil servant who died in active service, the departmental file must have been sent to the Office of the Head of Service of the Federation (former Civil Service Pension office) which PTAD inherited. It is very likely that your departmental file is in our archive.

Customs, Immigration and Prisons Pension Department (CIPPD) FAQ

Go to BPRS (Bureau of Public Reform Service) at office of Head Of Service for your complaints.

  • Send your bank statement from retirement date/cheque
  • Last promotion letter
  • 1st appointment letter
  • Letter of retirement

  • Come for verification/biometric capturing if you have not been verified.
  • Submit your birth certificate/declaration of age
  • Bank account statement from retirement to date
  • 1st appointment letter
  • Letter of last promotion
  • Submit your retirement letter

  • 33% for now notionally is from 1/1/2010 while payments for now starts from Jan 2013.
  • Submit death certificate if from 1/1/2013
  • Submit his/her bank statement from date of death to 30/2/2016 to ascertain when last he/she was paid pension.
  • Submit letter of administration